Pilates is a safe form of exercise which aims to make the body stronger, more mobile and balanced. Sessions focus on the whole body, with the emphasis on posture, core stability, control and coordination. As each exercise can be adapted to match the individual, it suits many different levels of fitness and mobility. Participants often leave a class feeling more aware of their body, stronger, taller, and with a greater sense of well-being.
Benefits of regular Pilates practice
- Improved posture & joint mobility
- A flatter stomach & slimmer waist
- Toned thighs, buttocks, arms and shoulders
- Increased muscular strength & flexibility
- Stronger pelvic floor
- Reduction in stress
- Reduction in risk of injury & back pain
- Increased bone density reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
Pilates is particularly beneficial for people with musculo-skeletal injuries, especially back pain, and has helped many sportsmen and women recover from injuries and improve their performance.