What is Plantar Fasciitis?
It is a common inflammatory condition affecting the thick band of connective tissue (fascia) on the sole of the foot. It is often a sharp pain in the heel which is much worse with the first few steps in the morning and occurs with most weight bearing activities. It can become a disabling chronic problem if not treated correctly. It occurs commonly in runners and people who are on their feet for prolonged periods of time. It also occurs more frequently in women and people aged 40-60 years old.
How it Happens
It often starts for no reason and is not normally associated with trauma. A number of factors can contribute to Plantar Fasciitis but typically people with flat feet, poor walking biomechanics and tightness in the calf, hamstring and gluteal regions. There can also be associated crepitis or “rice bubble” sensations when you press on the sole of your foot. It is aggravated by walking, running, dancing and non-supportive footwear.
What PPASIC can do to treat Plantar Fasciitis
- Soft Tissue Release – of the plantar fascia itself, calf muscles, hamstrings and gluteal muscles.
- Specific Exercises – Advice on using ice to control inflammation, rest and exercise modification to allow structures to heal. You will then need a progressive strengthening and exercise program to get you back up and running.
- Taping – to provide support for the foot and plantar fascia. Specific stretching exercises to stretch plantar fascia and supporting muscles.
Suitable Products for Plantar Fasciitis
- Footeze: Small and compact, this product is a god-send for most runners!
- Orthotics: These are custom-made to suit your needs.